Goodbye Addis... you stole a piece of my heart!

Now my time in Ethiopia is over, and its time to move on to the next destination, Mexico!
As I pack my bags and get ready for my departure, I take a look back on my time in Addis.

View from Bekele Mola in Arba Minch
Before I came to Ethiopia I had a short stop in Maldives (which turned out to be everything else then I had imagined, but that's another story!). While I was there I met a lady who had been traveling around the world for the past 20 years. After being in more then 90 different countries, she confessed that Ethiopia was one of her favorites. “You will really enjoy Ethiopia”, I recall her saying over and over again in our conversations. At that point I did not know what she meant, after all, I had not yet been to this mystical land.

As soon as I arrived, I witnessed the great hospitality of its people. You see, I had forgotten to bring cash, since I'm always used to withdraw money at the ATM. Unfortunately non of the ATMs at the Airport were working, and I needed 20 dollars for my entry visa. What to do? My colleague Ilu who was nice enough to pick me up was waiting for me outside, and I had no way to get out! To my astonishment, one of the airport staff offered to borrow me the money, so I could get out of the airport! I was speechless and relieved. After all , who often do you meet people how offer to borrow money to a complete stranger? That was not the only time I got stunned by the hospitality of the Ethiopian people. But this episode was my first encounter with this wonderful country. At that point I knew I would not regret coming here!


Bekele Mola Arba Minch


In many ways Ethiopia has been the country that has surprise me the most on my 'dreamyear'. I had never been in Africa before, and had no idea what to anticipate. 

Now as I'm getting ready to leave, I can feel the tears starting to well up in my eyes.. 

You will be missed dearly and always be a part of my heart!


View of Lake Langano
Sabana Lodge, Lake Langano

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

AidCom Alert Feed

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *

Follow us on Facebook

Made by