Dreams do come through

Rewind about 10 years, to when I was in college, and the teacher gave us an assignment for economy class. “Pick your dream destination and budget a 7 day trip”. I chose South Africa. Not sure why but its rich history, mountains, the fact that it’s by the ocean and possibility of seeing incredible wildlife would have no doubt played a big part. Now fast forward to the present day and voila, my dream came through! 

Cape of Good Hope
I have lost track of the number of times this year when I have had to pinch myself and pull myself together because I get too excited, overwhelmed or in disbelief that I am actually HERE, NOW and experiencing THIS! Although it may sound silly, I even sometimes feel a bit guilty that I am lucky enough to even be in the position I am in. But I digress… The point is, I had to pull myself together in South Africa extremely often.

The perfect place for a roadtrip driving break


Chance had it that one of the girls I sat next to in that economy class happened to be living in Cape Town. It was incredible to get to go see her as we have been in different countries and continents almost since we had that assignment. With her local knowledge and passion, pluss by meeting her wonderful friends, I got to experience bits of South Africa I could have probably only dreamt of doing had I been on my own.

Picnic on Signal Hill

All dolled up for JB Met


We rented a car and hit the road for a few days, partly on the garden route but mainly on the wine route (which is probably the only time I have been happy not to have a driver license!). Visited towns like Montague, with it’s natural hot springs, Paarl, Stellenbosch and Franshook, known for having some of the finest vineyards in all of the land. Hiked to the top of Table Mountain where it got so cloudy we literally had breakfast IN the clouds! Went for a picnic on signal hill where we enjoyed wines and cheeses from our road trip. Got invited to a South African tradition – a Braai (BBQ), and tasted ostrich and springbok meat! I also ate seafood and sushi to my heart’s content. Went to my first ever horserace, the JB met, and lost my first ever gamble there... One day, I will come back here, because although I ticked of a lot on my list, I discovered so many more things I didn’t have the time to do this time around.

Di-wine and chocolate experience!

Desert wine together with vanilla ice cream with sea salt, olive oil and a flower you have to smell to engage all the senses. Mind blown - in a great way!

Trying traditional sausage and ostrich at a Braai

Cape Town is full of the freshest, most delicious and affordable seafood
This guy! <3

We triple checked
Dassie, also called Rock Hyrax, the closest living relative to the elephant!

Vines as far as the eye can see

In the clouds on top of Table Mountain

Bumped in to this musician nearly at the top of Table Mountain

At Table View beach


Boo Kaap, and the cutest Mosque I have ever seen!

More of colourful Boo Kaap

In Stellenbosch

Mandela and I

Muizenberg

Just before sunset in Hermanus


Thank you to all of you who made this trip such a wonderful one!  <3

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

AidCom Alert Feed

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *

Follow us on Facebook

Made by