AIRBNB – BRINGING PEOPLE TOGETHER

When people ask how I can afford to travel so much, my answer is often Airbnb. 
When people ask me how I can go travel like that all by myself, and how I meet people, my answer is often Airbnb. 
When I’m planning a trip last minute and all hostels/hotels are booked, I check Airbnb….

Michele's dream summer house, Mazara del Vallo


So what is Airbnb exactly? Basically, it is a system where people like you rent out a room or an apartment for for a short period of time; mainly for travelers. You can even rent a whole house which is great if you travel with friends and there is more of you. Airbnb is not just accommodation. Your host can also prepare a nice breakfast for you or give you a guided tour in their city if you wish and they have the time and possibility. Some of the hosts just leave you the key, disappear and you will not get a chance to see them, while others are very friendly and make you feel at home; if you spend a lot of time together you may even become friends. 

Many people choose Airbnb because it can be cheaper than a hotel (I think that’s why many stayed at my place in Oslo when I lived there). On the other hand, you can also find expensive mansions and designer apartments. What makes it special, and what I think that people like about it is the local touch. You often get to stay in a normal, residential neighborhood, and you can get great tips from the locals about what to see and what to do. Apart from that, you can also improve your language skills. When I traveled in Italy it was a big plus to get to speak Italian as much as possible.

And it was actually in Italy when I discovered this great way to travel solo. I actually airbnb’d myself through Italy for two months, and the last part of it absolutely topped it; In Sicily I stayed at Alberto’s who showed me the nightlife and streetfood of Palermo, and then at Michele’s in Mazarra del Vallo; Michele loves cooking for others. He was even going with his motorbike to the bakery every morning to bring me fresh pastry every morning. I loved his place so much that later I even sent my parents there (although they got a bit lost in translation - Michele does not speak English, but he goes out of his way to try to communicate anyway - you know, the Italian way). I loved Sicily and especially staying with these two hosts so much that I bought tickets to go back three months later the minute I got home!

So when I decided to take a week holiday in Mexico City, I checked out Airbnb, and although my plan was to keep it budget, I upped my limit as I totally fell for Judith’sapartment in the cool neighborhood of Roma/Condesa. And it was totally worth it! Apart from the apartment being super nice, filled with coffee table books about food and travel (Judith is a food and travel writer) and tea, it had an amazing rooftop. But the best of it; Judith! She was such a welcoming host, and during the days I stayed there we went out together a couple of times although she’s quite a busy bee – she introduced me to many of her friends, many of them with their own restaurants (we went to Pablo’s spanish tapas bar Jaleo and I checked out his tapas bar in Veracruz a couple of weeks later!)

Judith, the wonderful host, hosting a Sunday brunch at the rooftop terrace 

A couple of weeks later, back in Xalapa, I told Judith I was going to a beach/surf town called Puerto Escondido, and it turned out she had a friend who lives there and with whom I could stay. I was so happy and grateful, especially because it turned out that Gaby was a great guy and his apartment amazing. I already look forward going back to Judith's place in a week! As you can see, Airbnb is a great way to find a true local experience and meet interesting people. Thanks to using it, I made some of my best travel memories!

View from Gaby's pool 

Many ask – How about security? How can you trust strangers like that? How can you let somebody you do not know to your house? Of course, you just have to trust people. Besides this, the Airbnb has a good security system which is based on reviews. Just chose the people with good reviews, and you can be sure that you are safe. Besides this, trust the gut feeling when you are mailing with your host; if you get a message «Me girlfriend sleep your house» (I actually got that one) then you know that you should probably avoid them. Just use your common sense and enjoy your stay. Bon voyage! 

Gunnhild.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

AidCom Alert Feed

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *

Follow us on Facebook

Made by