Silence of untouched wilderness


I had a few-months break from travelling. I got used to being home or near it – until the Dream Year happened. Then I could again grab my backpack and think of new places to discover.

When winter finishes, storks fly back to Poland from Africa.

As I started my Dream Year in Europe, I thought that it is a great opportunity to rediscover some not that well known places. I have chosen one in Poland, which happens to be my homeland as well. Once you are out from school you are not motivated to go on vacation in less-touristy areas in your motherland. I feel I should get to know my own country to understand better my cultural background and heritage. This is why when I spotted a 3-day free slot in my calendar, I thought I should get away from scorching sun and noise of the city and move somewhere cooler, greener, calmer. Since the last year I wanted to see the very eastern strap of Polish land – just on the border with Belarus. An absolutely outstanding area in the European scale, the last temperate primeval forest. The “green lungs” of Poland. The last untouched wilderness of Europe where you can see European bison in its natural habitat. Białowieża National Park – the oldest of Polish National Parks.

What can I say – it is a quite isolated edge – it is not that easy to get there if you don’t have a car. But where’s an idea, there’s a way. I used one of the car-pooling portals to find somebody who was going in that direction. And what a positive surprise – not only this person knew the area but also we were travelling in an original Polish car from 1989! Absolutely unique opportunity these days. What can I say – my young driver has a style ;)

 Travelling back in time - Polonez from 1989

After barely four hours of a merry road trip with 2 other persons, I was in a place where my phone was losing reception or on the contrary – receiving signal from Belarus, the border of which is barely 4km away from the village of Białowieża. I was in the place where a mosquito bite seems to hurt twice stronger than normal and where the environmental policy saved inhabitants from negative influence of modern civilization. I was stunned how inviting the neighborhood of the wild forest is. Białowieża has charming houses from the beginning of 20th century, which are beautifully renovated and maintained. So is the vicinity of the houses – each of them has meticulously trimmed lawns and plenty, plenty of flowers! There is no sign of rubbish or disorder within households or in the streets. This is a perfect place for those who appreciate silence, fresh air and contact with nature. For bike-fans there is a bonus – you can actually cycle in the forest and there are many roads which are ideal for this purpose.

Just like from a school book - coloured houses with shutters and ornaments around windows

Traditional houses in contemporary surrounding

The oldest building in Białowieża - manor house from 1845

If you are an animal lover, you can go on a long walk in the forest. You will have to wake up early, but it will be compensated by bird-watching, sound of branches cracking under your feet and mystic view on fallen trees which remember the times of kings in Poland. If you are lucky, you can spot a bison heading for its morning meal. The Polish have a national drink, maybe you've heard of it, and its uniqueness comes from the bison grass which added to it. The very same grass that grows in this Park. 

If you are a solo traveler, that is even better – people in that region are outstandingly nice and welcoming! If you don’t speak English, don’t worry – they will make effort to understand you. You need a Spanish-speaking guide in the forest? No problem! Or perhaps you are looking for a company? You fill find Polish and foreign tourists happy to have a taste of venison together in the local restaurants. I went to Białowieża by myself for 3 days and came back with a few new e-mail addresses in my “to be in touch” notebook. This is why I love travelling!











1 comments:

  1. That stork next photo is amazing! Polish country side looks so similar to Ukraine's. Biking around sounds perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete

 

AidCom Alert Feed

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *

Follow us on Facebook

Made by