Mexican food is more than tacos, part two

Before I became a dreamer I tried as much as possible to find out about what this dreamyear was all about, and how the dreamer locations were like. I was following the blog, and as I am a big foodie, I was paying a lot of attention to the posts about the food. One dish drew my attention – Chiles en Nogada – a Mexican specialty with the not so usual ingredients pomegranate and walnut sauce (!).
I became very curious about this dish, and I asked Ely, our Mexican colleague, who said that it wasn’t yet in season. Then one day, as I was walking in the city, I saw a big poster hanging on the restaurant saying «Try our delicious chiles en nogada». Looks like the season arrived, let’s go and try it out, I thought.


You can call Chiles en Nogada a truly «patriotic» dish - the colors are supposed to imitate the Mexican flag; the sauce is white, the pomegrante red and the chili is green. They are served in restaurants just for a limited time during the year, usually when pomegranates are ripe (depending on the region) and when the national indepence festivities begin (Independence Day coming up the 13th of September).
Well…I have to admit I liked the tamales more! Too sweet and creamy for my liking. But you should definately try them if you come across them somewhere!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

AidCom Alert Feed

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *

Follow us on Facebook

Made by